Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Slow, the Ugly, and the Gay

The movie "Brokeback Mountain" has broken down many walls, but it also seems it has put up new ones. I have seen and heard many people use the movie's title as a way to make fun of or put down others. If "gay" was not appropriate, somehow "Brokeback Mountain" is.

"I don't know, it sounds a little 'Brokeback Mountain' to me."

"You're not going 'Brokeback Mountain' on me, are you?"

Despite this word play, "Brokeback" seems to be the new "ugly," after seeing this year's Oscar nominations.

First, there was the trend of being mentally challenged, then there was the trend of looking ugly, and now the trend is homosexuality. Based on these trends--mental, physical, mental--the next one would have to be physical. Maybe eye-patches or blindness will be next. How 'bout those with one leg shorter than the other. Yeah, that would be good. Get Tom Hanks on the line. I'm ready to pitch.

No comments: