Thursday, April 20, 2006

Terrorists or snakes, which would you choose?

There are two huge airplane movies coming out this year. One is "United 93" -- the true story of the one plane that fought back during the 9/11 tragedy -- and the other is "Snakes on a Plane" -- the true depiction of what it would be like to be on a plane with a bunch of snakes. Personally, I am more interested in the one about snakes taking over a plane than terrorists, not because I don't think they are the bigger threat, but because I am curious as to how a situation like that would be handled. You can't just lift your legs off the floor and continue eating your complimentary nuts. These snakes are coming out of everywhere. Want to check the overhead compartment. Look out, there's a bunch of snakes! Want to get your oxygen mask. Oh no, more snakes! They’re everywhere, and there are all kinds too. Big ones, small ones, but all are deadly, because if you're going to go through the trouble of smuggling aboard a barrel of snakes, you don't want them being garden snakes.

Terrorism is bad; I'm reminded of it everyday, because, apparently, if I go without a daily reminder, I'll think it's good again, and then the terrorists will win. All kinds of measures have been taken to ride the planes of terror. Take out your metallic objects. Take off your shoes. Turn and cough. But snakes! What are we doing to prevent snakes from getting on a plane! My god, there is no protection against them. Their not metallic, and they can easily be pawned off as other things if their stashed in someone's pants. We are leaving ourselves completely vulnerable, and I doubt that there are any solutions once in flight. This movie, which also has Samuel L. Jackson (an added plus), will make the country aware of this potential crisis and implement the necessary safety requirements, because right now, I am completely clueless as to what to do in a snake-related emergency. I would probably use my seat as a floatation device and -- Oh no! More snakes!

No comments: